John Huggins (Sculptor)
A sculptor for over 50 years, John Huggins has pursued, through his favored material of bronze, a changing vision of sculptural form, with the human figure as a major source. He has exhibited widely in leading British galleries and is a long standing member of the Royal West of England Academy where he has held senior positions.
John Huggins was born in 1938 in Wiltshire, UK. He was educated at Kings School, Bruton and taught by German sculptor Ernst Blensdorf. From 1956 to 1962 he was a student at the West of England College of Art, Bristol. He received NDD Hons which was awarded by sculptor Frank Dobson. He won the College Sculpture Prize in 1960 and 1961.
In 1962 he set up his studio and was given his first exhibition at Fimbarrus Gallery, Bath. In 1963 he became a Lecturer at West of England College of Art, later at Bristol Polytechnic and University of the West of England (UWE) and then Lecturer at Bath Academy of Art.
He was elected to the Royal West of England Academy (RWA) in 1967, and the same year had his first London exhibition at Alwin Gallery. In 1969 he held his first of six bi-annual one man shows at the Alwin Gallery, London.
In 1971 he was elected member Royal Society of British Sculptors and in 1976 moved his studio to Marshfield, Wiltshire to work as a full time sculptor and he set up a bronze foundry. He relocated to Berkeley, Gloucestershire in 1982 where he converted a coach house and stables to accommodate a larger studio and foundry.
In 1996 he was elected to the RWA council, subsequently serving as Honorary Secretary, Academicians’ Chairman and Senior Vice President. He retired from RWA council in 2009 and was elected Honorary Vice President.
He continues to show in leading galleries across the United Kingdom. His publications include ‘John Huggins Sculptor’ 2006 by Peter Davies, ‘Works 2006 - 2012’ and ‘John Huggins 2013’.